“In practising mindfulness, you are practising taking responsibility for being yourself and learning to listen to and trust your own being.”
In a world full of endless choices and challenges, self-doubt is the non-stop humming in the background. The overwhelming feeling from the incoming mixed messages in our head is pretty confusing and totally debilitating and exhausting. Feeling stuck or lost happens when our brain cannot make sense of the outside information or process the internal feeling associated with the unknown context.
Our capacity to feel confident and make decisions based on our authentic self is to shield our brain from the bombardment of mixed messages from the outside world and the numbing of our useless tweets in our head.
It is possible to learn how to trust yourself and start making decisions yet, you have to accept that the emotional vulnerability is part of the formula. Growth and transformation are not possible without the willingness to be exposed to discomfort and anxiety.
You can cultivate trust by shifting your attention from external and pointing it towards yourself. Paying attention to your emotions, experiences and thoughts with a nonjudgmental attitude builds trust in yourself and your potential. Gradually, you realize that all the incapacitating walls you have built over the years to defend yourself against challenges are not that daunting. As you learn to trust your inner resources, you grow confidence in your strength and the threats weaken in whatever might come up.
Ways to increase self-trust
- Be aware of your thoughts and feelings as much as you are focused on what you are doing – Whenever doubt creeps in, retreat, contemplate and identify the source of the emotions. Do not reject or judge your feelings, being uncertain means that you don’t have enough knowledge. This insight gives you the clarity to charge ahead and learn.
- Be conscious of signals from your physical body, cravings, pain or pleasure. As your body continues to perform its function, such as breathing or blood circulation, the concept of trust moves from perception to reality. An abstract idea manifesting in the form of a physical system. This realization gives you no reason to doubt your capacity.
- Make a list of all the qualities you like about yourself – Once you become aware of all your capabilities and virtues, you have created an intimate relationship with your trustworthy self. Rationally, when you are competent, reliable and sincere, then there is no reason not to trust yourself.
- Recognize those poor choices you have made in the past which do not define your nor they set in stone your path and destiny.
- Respect your feelings as much as you respect others.
- Express your views and give input when you do have an opinion.
Like anything, you can establish an intellectual trust with yourself by setting the intention, paying attention and pratice. For more information, please refer to mindfulness meditation by Jon Kabat-Zinn.